Installing Liferey Developer Studio
- Navigate to https://www.liferay.com/get-ee-trial/downloads/developer-studio.
- In the Downloads section, select ‘Windows 64 Bit Bundle’ and click on download.
- Create a folder on your machine where you want to setup your liferay environment. I have C:\work\liferay\
- Unzip the downloaded file into the folder you created for liferay development.
- Open Liferay Developer Studio by clicking on developer studio icon inside your unzipped folder.
- You will be asked to specify a workspace (I specified, C:\work\liferay\workspace).
- Start your Tomcat Server.
- Once your server has started up, navigate to http://localhost:8080. You will be automatically navigated to the page telling you that the server is not registered. To register the licence:
- Clear both data and licence folders at LIFERAY_HOME\liferay-develoeper-studio\liferay-portal-6.2-ee-sp5\
- Place your licence.xml in the deploy directory.
- Restart your Tomcat Application Server.
- You should see Liferay configuration page at http://localhost:8080
Configuring Liferay Admin User
Under the Administrator User Section:
- Enter First Name: admin
- Enter Last Name: user
- Email: Enter your email address eg; firstname.lastname@example.org
Liferay comes packaged with Hypersonic database. It is recommended that you configure it to use a proper DBMS like Oracle, MySQL or SQL Server.
The following will detail the steps to connect to SQL Server.
- Please create a new database on SQL Server and give it a sensible name, I called it liferay_portal.
- On localhost:8080, under the database section, click on change hyperlink, this should open up a database configuration section.
- Under Database Type dropdown select: SQL Server.
- Under Database URL enter: jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://localhost/liferay_portal
- Under JDBC driver class name enter: net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver
- Under username enter your database admin username.
- Under password enter your database password.
- Click Finish Configuration.
If you encounter a java connection refused exception when trying to connect to the database, please follow the following steps to resolve it.
- Create a file called portal-ext.properties
- Enter the following details in portal-ext.properties
jdbc.default.driverClassName=net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver jdbc.default.url=jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://localhost:1433/service_portal jdbc.default.username=[your database username] jdbc.default.password=[your database password]
- Saved the file at LIFERAY_HOME\liferay-developer-studio\liferay-portal-6.2-ee-sp5
- Open SQL Server Configuration Manager
- In the left hand side menu, in the tree structure, select SQL Server Network Configuration -> Protocols for MSSQLSERVER
- Right click on TCP/IP and enable it (if not enabled).
- Double click on TCP/IP, this should open TCP/IP popup.
- Open IP Addresses tab.
- In the tab, you’ll notice a number of IP addresses listed in each section.
- In the section where you see IP address 127.0.0.1, make sure IP is active and enabled and port is 1433.
- Save your changes.
- Restart the Liferay Tomcat server, you shouldn’t see any errors now.